This is another post I received from Kraft in conjunction with Cinco de Mayo. Check out my post about the delicious looking Lemon Berry Sangria drink.
Cinco de Mayo (May 5) is a day that celebrates the Mexican Army’s defeat of French forces at the Battle of Puebla, during the French occupation of Mexico (1862). As a surprise to some, it is not Mexico’s Independence Day! In the United States, we’ve adopted the day as a celebration of Mexican heritage – a chance to get together with friends and enjoy some of the traditions and delicious food and drink we’ve borrowed from our neighbors. While many people still mistake the origin of Cinco de Mayo, there’s absolutely no mistaking the sense of community and appreciation the day brings.
- 1 lb. small shrimp (36 to 45 count), peeled, cleaned and cooked
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup KRAFT Zesty Italian Dressing
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onions
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
- 2 oz. (1/4 of 8-oz. pkg.) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, softened
- 6 tostada shells
- 3/4 cup KRAFT Shredded Cheddar & Monterey Jack Cheeses
- TOSS shrimp, lime juice, dressing, tomatoes, cilantro and onions in glass bowl. Refrigerate 20 min. to marinate.
- MEANWHILE, mash avocados and cream cheese in small bowl. Spread tostada shells evenly with avocado mixture.
- DRAIN shrimp mixture; spoon evenly on top of each tostada shell. Sprinkle each with shredded cheese.
Jazz It Up: Add chopped, fresh jalapenos to the cream cheese and avocado mixture for a spicier tostada!
Substitute: Use your favorite cooked seafood, such as crabmeat or chunks of white fish, instead of the shrimp.