Fun, Stylish Toybox on a budget

So I used to love to sew and sewed all the time.  I could literally sew a baby quilt from cutting out squares to sewed together and backed in a day.  Now I don’t have the energy to do much of anything and sewing certainly has found it’s way to the bottom of my to do list.  Until last night!

Maddisyn had a Dora the Explorer organizer in her room, you know the ones with the plastic bins on it?  Well that was a nightmare because they would take the bins off and dump them all over Maddisyn’s room and then I would end up with a huge mess to clean up.  She did not have a toybox we were using this as one and keeping all the other toys in the rec room in a rubbermaid bin.  Well I decided I had enough of her dumping toys everywhere so I needed to get her a toybox.  Thus my search started.

I looked all over and couldn’t find anything under 100 I liked and that went with her room.  I was not paying that much money anyways because I know that the wooden ones break we have been there done that.  So we decided we would just use the Rubbermaid tote and put the toys in that, but then I got to thinking we have worked so hard this past couple of months to make her room so cute and then I am going to put this big drab gray bin in, I think not.  So this is where I got crafty.

Maddisyn and I headed out to our local fabric store and started our hunt for fabric.  I knew I was not going to pay a lot of money for it was hoping for around $3 a meter.  Well Maddisyn found fabric she really liked but it was $5 a meter but I said what the heck and we went for it.  so for about 30 bucks including fabric, material and new measuring tape since I cut through mine with my rotary wheel, twice, before when I was sewing we were on our way.  I came home and got to work and in about an hour I turned out her new toy box, I think it turned out adorable.

It was very easy to do, I just made sure the material was long enough to go from under the edge up over the side, down inside, across the bottom, up the other side and back down to the underneath.  Then I just took another piece and sewed the ends in, added some elastic on the bottom to keep it drawn tight and voila a cute toy box.  The picture makes it look super super busy but it is really not that busy in real life.

Speak Your Mind

*